Random musings and observations from an individual with too much time on his hands

Thursday, March 17, 2005

Browser Update

My Web Browser choice is dependent. By that I mean I have yet to find the "Perfect" web browser for all occasions.

Primarily, I'm a Mac user, and on my Macs, the browser I use most frequently is Safari.

Safari syncs with Mac services, which helps me keep my bookmarks between my laptop and desktop. It's also reasonably quick and compatible. Overall it makes a good compromise for the 'net.

After Safari, there's Firefox. If Safari doesn't get it done, Firefox will. It is a bit slower to launch, a bit less well integrated into OS-specifics, but remarkably compatible with servers.

I have used Camino on-and-off as it has been developed. While it shows great promise, the updates have failed to really meet pace with usefulness, but I hold out that it will eventually take Firefox's place in my circle.

Finally, no Mac user is complete without iCab. Sure it gets a bad rap in may reviews, but it excels in two areas that make it indispensable. It has perhaps the best download feature of any web browser, allowing you to grab an image, a page, or a site you need offline. It also has the best print feature of any browser.

iCab's printing is a marvel, you can imitate resolutions from 800 to 1024, zoom print sizes, reduce text, etc. All to get the right balance of length and readability. And it makes sure that the images don't get cut.

In the windows world, I prefer Firefox. Of course, there's no way to uninstall IE, and you can't run Windows Update without it, but beyond that, it really is useless.

And I do run some legacy systems. I have a handful of Classic Macs floating around. I used to use IE 5 for most everything, and it holds up well in Classic - better then the OSX version, but iCab has closed the gap on it significantly, and there is an unofficial 1.o Mozilla for Classic that fills any compatibility gaps you might have where you can't get to another system.

But - don't let me forget that there are full Mozilla and Netscape builds out there that are as good as anything available. And there's Opera and OmniWeb, both of which I always hear good things about.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
Site Meter

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to spiritoftheoak
Powered by groups.yahoo.com