Random musings and observations from an individual with too much time on his hands

Friday, October 01, 2004

Homecoming

A couple of years ago I was in the Anime Club. We had a nice president, Sue, but she was for the Club having a float in the parade. (Sue was a great person, and the fallout of why she didn't get re-elected is a lot of hurt feelings, mainly having to do with most of the club being pro-hentai and her being against it.)

Anyway, what it comes down to is that Homecoming, in most places, is a Jock/Greek affair. This is no different at IUP.

I walked along my first year, and after that pretty much swore off it. The non-Jock/Greek crowd was very small. I just didn't want to deal with getting up at ten in the morning and walking past a bunch of drunk and indignant people.

I did help out the next year, when we made a "Tokyo Tower" float, and a bunch of them walked in the parade. It was actually quite good, and I felt that if they were going to walk, then the least I could do was offer some time to stuff the crepe paper into the chicken wire.

After that year, Anime pretty much fell apart for me. Meetings moved a bit and were hard to keep up with, most of my friends had gone, and I was getting more involved with other meetings and school work. I did, however, end up with a craving for Tenchi Muyo!

Of course another positive was that several of the people I knew were part of the Megatokyo crowd, and I got to party with Piro and Largo one year at Katsucon. Somehow we ended up playing in the fire hydrants in Baltimore.

The point is, SOTO is planning on walking this year. I hope things go better for them, IUP has made the first tentative steps into the 21st Century by acknowledging that there are campus clubs outside of Greek Life. It may well be a few more years before this spreads into a full support of clubs, but it is at least a spin in the positive direction.

It seems also that the Greek community is evolving too. The "Animal House" mentality is going away and being replaced with a more positive aura. Part of this is just the national crackdown against drinking and hazing, and part is the whole realization in many Universities across the nation that it's the education not the sports that really draw most of the students.

Well -- Good Luck to SOTO, and any other club making their tentative steps into the Homecoming celebration, and remember not to drink too much this weekend.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
Site Meter

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to spiritoftheoak
Powered by groups.yahoo.com